Article written by Amy Peterson (firstname.lastname@example.org), MS, RD, Extension Educator in Polk County
The leaves are changing and the air is crisp. Autumn will go by as fast as the leaves fall from the trees, so be sure to take advantage of family time in the fall! Here are some ways you can enjoy time together under blue skies and fall foliage:
- Visit a local Farmer’s Market! This is a great way to learn more about foods grown locally, talk with the grower and try new foods! The foods at Farmer’s Markets change with the seasons making each visit unique. There is so much to see and do! For more information about Farmer’s Markets in Nebraska, check out https://food.unl.edu/farmer-market
- There is still lots to do outside together as the days get shorter, from raking leaves to cleaning up the garden. Have your children help you plant your fall flower garden. Let them dig the holes for your fall mums and see color grow all around!
- Pick some pumpkins! Family fall fun at pumpkin patch farms are lots of fun and a great way to get outdoors on a cool, crisp fall day, and a great way to share with youth how pumpkins are grown and harvested. Many pumpkin farms offer lots of different activities you can do together from hay rack rides and corn mazes for lots of laughs together. Get outside and get moving in the Pumpkin Patch!
- There is nothing like the taste of a freshly picked apple. Visit a nearby apple orchard! Pick your own apples, make some apple crisp, caramel apples or bob for apples to celebrate harvest! When you get the apples home, try some of these recipes together to create some delicious fall treats from the apples your family may have picked! Share some baked goods with a neighbor for some fall fellowship!
- Not sure where to go for family fun in the fall? Search “Local Orchards” or “Local Pumpkin Farms” on the Internet and find some weekend family fun near you!
Looking for great fall apple recipes? Here are a few ideas:
This article has been peer-reviewed.