Apple Filled Squash
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 acorn squash (about 1 pound)
- 1 apple
- 2 teaspoons melted butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Dash ground cloves
- Wash hands with soap and water. Heat oven to 350°F. Coat a 1-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Scrub squash with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Halve squash and remove seeds. Place halves, skin side up, in dish and cover; bake 30 minutes.
- Gently rub apple under cold running water. Peel, core and chop apple. In medium bowl, combine apple, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Turn cut sides of acorn squash up; top with apple mixture. Cover and bake 30 minutes longer or until apples are tender.
- Serving Size (1/4 of recipe):
- Calories 88
- Total Fat 3g
- Sodium 24mg
- Total Carbohydrates 17g
- Fiber 3g
Recipe adapted from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.