2019 State Fair 4-H Culinary Challenge!
Challenge Ingredient for 2019 - DAIRY! Here are some fun facts about DAIRY in Nebraska!
· In the state of Nebraska, there are about 160 licensed dairy herds.
· Nebraska is the 26th largest milk-producing state in the U.S.
· Nebraska dairy farms produced approximately 151 million gallons of milk in 2015.
· Nebraska farms generate more than $232 million in milk sales annually.
· In Nebraska, the average dairy cow produces about 7 gallons of milk per day. That’s more than 2,620 gallons of milk over the course of a typical year.
· Nebraska has 6 plants that process one or more dairy products.
· It takes about 48 hours for milk to travel from the farm to the dairy case.
What recipe can you challenge yourself with? Check out these resources from the Midwest Dairy for tips and tricks preparing meals with milk and milk products.
The purpose of the 4-H Culinary Challenge is to:
- Demonstrate Healthy Decision Making - Through Nutrition, Menu Planning, Food Prep, And Food Safety
- Apply Healthy Living Knowledge And Skills
- Showcase Skills
- Highlight Knowledge By Utilizing Technology
Youth ages 10 - 18 are eligible to participate. The 4-H'er must be enrolled in a Foods and Nutrition project and compete in teams of two. 4-H'ers are challenged on the theme, table setting, menu, use of the 2019 Challenge Ingredient of DAIRY FOODS, the interview with the judge, and use of technology during the tableside presentation. The team will prepare one food item off the menu to present to the judge. For more information regarding the contest, please contact your local Extension office.
Use your imagination to create the perfect 4-H Culinary Challenge!
Check out our Pinterest Page for recipe ideas and how to work with the Challenge Ingredient!
Some additional resources include the following:
Register HERE by August 9th by 5 p.m. CST for the 2019 Culinary Challenge Contest!
4-H Food and Nutrition Curriculum
4-H projects can be delicious and nutritious! Nebraska 4-H Food and Nutrition Projects help youth learn about how to have the right recipe for success. Plan, prepare, and present your 4-H Food and Nutrition Projects.
For all 4-H projects, Nebraska Project and Resources webpage offers lots of exciting and educational projects for 4-H'ers to choose from.
Nebraska 4-H projects that focus on Healthy Lifestyle Education include the Project Activity Guides below:
- Learn all about MyPlate, kitchen basics, food and kitchen safety, and mealtime basics!
- Find out more about how to measure foods and basic cooking skills
- Recipes include snacks, side dishes, main dishes, quick breads and dessert!
- Learn about food labels, food safety and fire safety
- Learn about meal planning and working with different types of cooking equipment
- Recipes include those made with vegetables, fruits, grains and proteins!
- Learn about food safety and outdoor cooking
- Plan a party from start to finish!
- Recipes include yeast breads and grains, vegetable and fruit groups desserts, and dairy products!
- Find out more about cooking with herbs and spices
- Plan a special celebration meal
- Learn about ethnic foods
- Recipes focus on foods from around the world, grains, proteins, fruits and vegetables, desserts and candy.
Food Preservation Series
Freezing Foods Project Manual
- Learn how to safely freeze foods as a method of food preservation
- Learn how to incorporate pre-frozen foods into meals and desserts
Drying Foods Project Manual
- Learn how to make dried items, fruit and vegetable leathers, and dried herbs
- Learn how to incorporate dried foods and herbs in meals and desserts
Boiling Water Canning Project Manual
- Learn how to safely can foods using the boiling water method as a means of food preservation
Pressure Canner Project Manual
- Learn how to safely can foods using the pressure canner method as a means of food preservation
Youth interested in 4-H Foods projects may be interested in the following careers:
- Counseling and Mental Health Services
- Extension Educator
- Family and Community Service
- Food Chemist
- Food Safety Inspector
- Restaurant and Food/Beverage Services
- Therapeutic Services
To see how you might fit into a foods related career, check out the University of Nebraska - Lincoln's Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences for some exciting possibilities!
Cooking Up Some Educational Resources
Teaching youth how to do some baking? Use these resources as teaching tools for your 4-H Baking Classes!
Cooking with Kids - Baking Basics
Making cookies with your child is ofter the beginnings of a new chef! View this presentation to see what really makes a cookie a culinary favorite!
Making muffins aren't as easy as it may seem! Use this program to help teach your youth about the mystery of tunnels in the muffins and more!
Baking with Yeast
For youth learning how to bake with yeast, Baking Bun Fun can help teach 4-H'ers the science behind the cinnamon and the sugar, with a tasty treat as a reward! Try the World of Wheat Science to understand the basics of breadmaking - in a no-fuss bag! Lots of fun for everyone, and delicious and healthy, too!<%