Spending time in the kitchen can be a fun and worthwhile experience. Before children begin cooking, here are a few safety reminders to review with them:
- Ask an adult's permission before cooking.
- Wash hands often with soap and water.
- Start with clean surfaces and clean cooking tools.
- Read recipe carefully and have ingredients, utensils and equipment ready before you begin.
- Fasten hair back if it is long.
- Wear clean clothes. Short sleeves work well.
- Be careful with hot surfaces and sharp utensils.
- Don't taste cookie dough or batter that has raw eggs or raw flour in it.
- Wipe up spills immediately.
Here are a few fun recipes to try:
Test Your Children's Food Safety Knowledge Before Letting Them Have the Run of the Kitchen, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
9 Kitchen Safety Rules for Kids and Families, Purdue Extension
Our goal is to help parents and caregivers prepare healthy meals and snacks by sharing recipes, tips and ideas that are geared for children ages 2 to 5.