Article written by Carol Schwarz (email@example.com), MS, RD, Extension Educator in Buffalo County
There are over 100 varieties of potatoes sold in the United States. Each of these varieties fit into one of seven potato type categories: russet, red, white, yellow, blue/purple, fingerling and petite. Create some fun family meals by exploring the different shapes and colors of potatoes. Start by making these fun green- mash potatoes.
More About Potatoes:
- There are just 159 calories in one medium potato.
- A medium baked potato with skin is low in sodium and high in vitamin C and
- Store potatoes in a cool, dark, well-ventilated place. Perforated plastic bags or paper bags are best for extending shelf-life.
- Temperatures lower than 50 degrees, such as in a refrigerator, cause a potato's starch to convert to sugar, resulting in a sweet taste and discoloration when cooked.
Elaine's Green-Mash Potatoes
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1/2 cup skim milk (divided)
- 1 garlic clove (peeled)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- Dash white pepper (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Wash hands with soap and water. Scrub potatoes with a clean vegetable brush under cold running water. Peel and dice potatoes.
- Simmer potatoes in a medium-sized pan on the stove for about 10 minutes or until soft when pierced with a fork.
- Cook peas in a microwave-safe bowl for about 1 minute or until cooked. Drain.
- Heat milk in a microwave-safe bowl about 1 minute until hot. Add garlic clove and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a blender puree peas, 2 tablespoons milk, and garlic clove.
- Drain potatoes and begin to mash. Slowly add 6 tablespoons milk while mashing. Blend in the pureed peas and garlic, margarine, and white pepper (optional) to the mashed potatoes.
- Place mashed potatoes in a serving dish, lightly sprinkle salt on top of potatoes. Makes 4 servings. Each serving contains 160 calories, 3 g fat, 119 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate and 5 g fiber.
Recipe adapted from USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, What's Cooking - USDA Mixing Bowl
This publication has been peer-reviewed.