Butternut Squash Mac 'N Cheese
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 small butternut squash OR 1/2 large butternut squash, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat pasta (macaroni or rotini)
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut squash in half and remove skin and seeds.
- Cut squash into small cubes and place on sheet pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Brush squash with 1 Tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle evenly with pepper and garlic powder. Roast for about 25 minutes or until soft.
- While squash is roasting, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil on medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft.
- Place squash, onion, salt, dried mustard, paprika, and milk into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour puree over noodles and mix evenly.
- Stir in shredded cheeses. Add some water to adjust consistency if desired.
- Serving Size (1/6 of recipe):
- Calories 277
- Total Fat 12g
- Saturated Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 26mg
- Sodium 393mg
- Total Carbohydrates 33g
- Fiber 4g
- Total Sugars 6g
- Protein 12g
- Vitamin D 3%
- Calcium 32%
- Iron 10%
- Potassium 14%