Elaine's Green-Mash Potatoes
Yield: 4 servings
- 3 medium potatoes, scrubbed with a clean vegetable brush under cold running water
- 1/2 cup skim milk (divided)
- 1 garlic clove (peeled)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- Dash white pepper (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Wash hands with soap and water. Peel and dice potatoes.
- Simmer potatoes in a medium-sized pan on the stove for about 10 minutes or until soft when pierced with a fork.
- Cook peas in a microwave-safe bowl for about 1 minute or until cooked. Drain.
- Heat milk in a microwave-safe bowl about 1 minute until hot. Add garlic clove and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a blender puree peas, 2 tablespoons milk, and garlic clove.
- Drain potatoes and begin to mash. Slowly add 6 tablespoons milk while mashing. Blend in the pureed peas and garlic, margarine and white pepper (optional) to the mashed potatoes.
- Place mashed potatoes in a serving dish. Lightly sprinkle salt on top of potatoes.
- Calories 160
- Total Fat 3g
- Sodium 119mg
- Total Carbohydrates 30g
- Fiber 5g
MyPlate MyKitchen, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)