Chuck Roast is an affordable cut of beef, derived from the shoulder region of a beef animal. It is inherently tough because it contains muscles that are heavily utilized by the animal, so careful cookery methods are required to improve tenderness. Try using this cut for braises or slow- or pressure-cooking recipes.
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast or 7-bone roast, trimmed
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger root, gently rubbed under cold running water, grated
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 12 small flour or corn tortillas
- ½ cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- ¼ cup cilantro, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped (optional)
- 2 avocados, gently rubbed under cold running water, sliced (optional)
- 2 limes, sliced (optional)
- Asian Cabbage Slaw (recipe linked in the notes)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Place beef in the slow cooker. Wash hands after handling uncooked meat.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, beef broth, ginger, lime juice, and sesame oil. Pour the mixture over the beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours, until tender.
- In a separate small bowl, prepare spicy sour cream by stirring together the ½ cup sour cream with the 2 teaspoons of Sriracha sauce. Refrigerate until needed.
- Remove beef from the pot and shred or chop. Add ½ cup of liquid to the beef and combine.
- Toast tortillas if desired. Top with shredded beef, cabbage slaw (recipe linked in the notes below) and spicy sour cream.
- Top with cilantro, avocado slice, and squeeze some lime juice over the top, if desired.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Get the Asian Cabbage Slaw Recipe here.
- Serving Size (1 taco, with the Asian Cabbage Slaw):
- Calories 320
- Total Fat 11g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 95mg
- Sodium 430mg
- Total Carbohydrates 22g
- Fiber 1g
- Total Sugars 6g, includes 4g Added Sugars
- Protein 34g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 4%
- Iron 15%
- Potassium 10%