Balancing the calories you eat with the calories your body uses will help you maintain a healthy weight and prevent disease. Everyone has their own calorie limit. Staying within that limit can help you lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. You can enjoy your meals while making small changes to the amounts of food that you eat.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Tablespoons low-fat Thousand Island salad dressing (optional)*
- 8 Bibb or Romaine lettuce leaves, gently rubbed under cold running water
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, gently rubbed under cold running water, diced
- 1/2 cup low-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup dill pickles, chopped
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef and onion over medium-high heat until meat is browned and reaches an internal temperature of 160 °F on a food thermometer. Drain fat.
- Add garlic, salt, and pepper (if using) and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in salad dressing.
- Place lettuce leaves on a plate or serving dish. Spoon meat mixture into lettuce leaves. Top with tomatoes, cheese, and pickles.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
* Your favorite condiment can be used in place of Thousand Island dressing.
- Serving Size (1/8 of recipe):
- Calories 150
- Total Fat 8g
- Saturated Fat 3.5g
- Cholesterol 55mg
- Sodium 310mg
- Total Carbohydrates 2g
- Fiber 1g
- Total Sugars 2g, includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein 16g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 6%
- Iron 10%
- Potassium 6%