It's summer ball season! That means warm summer nights under the lights, washing dusty uniforms and perhaps, a few too many hurried meals. These tips will help you prepare for the game so you can make the first pitch! Here are some ideas that can make your family on the run a much healthier one!
- Purchase healthy, basic ingredients for quick meals and snacks including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, protein and dairy. If you purchase and stock your kitchen with a variety of these options, it will be much easier to select healthy items when you are in a hurry.
- Wash fresh fruits and vegetables, pre-cut and have in a bowl on the middle fridge shelf for easy accessibility. Or, individually bag fruits and vegetables for a quick and healthy snack to take with you.
- Keep less healthful foods out of sight in an inconvenient location.
- Try to have single servings of lean protein and low-fat dairy foods in your fridge or pantry including eggs, tuna, black beans, tofu, yogurt, string cheese, etc.
- Keep whole grains such as bread, tortillas, crackers or oatmeal on hand. Read the label to find the word "whole" grain in the ingredient list.
- When making a meal, make two or three at the same time and freeze them for busy nights when you don't have time to cook.
- Have a text and TV-free table. Enjoy the company of others and be better able to listen to your body's signals of hunger an fullness when you are not distracted by technology and TV.
Quick Meal Ideas
Here are few easy recipes that can be assembled quickly for summer meals on the go:
Wansink B, Hanks AS, Kaipainen K. Slim by Design: Kitchen Counter Correlates of Obesity. Health Educ Behav. 2016 Oct;43(5):552-8. doi: 10.1177/1090198115610571. Epub 2015 Oct 19. PMID: 26481966.
This newsletter has been peer-reviewed.