Jajic is a popular cucumber yogurt salad, widely prepared in Middle Eastern countries. It is very similar to yogurt-based salads or dips such as cacik, tzatziki, or raita. It is often served with rice and grilled meat dishes.
- 3-5 Persian cucumbers OR 1 large cucumber, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped*
- 2 Tablespoons fresh mint, gently rubbed under running water, finely chopped OR 2 teaspoons dried mint
- ¼ cup fresh dill, gently rubbed under running water, finely chopped*
- 1 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Refrigerate until serving.
- Serve chilled with meat and fish dishes, or as a dip with pita bread.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
*To serve the salad as a dip, grate cucumbers instead of chopping.
**Substitute or add more fresh herbs to taste, such as parsley, cilantro, or chives.
- Serving Size (1/2 cup):
- Calories 30
- Total Fat 0g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 15mg
- Total Carbohydrates 4g
- Fiber 0g
- Total Sugars 2g, includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein 4g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 4%
- Iron 0%
- Potassium 2%
This recipe was created in collaboration with Community Crops and Yazidi Project.