National Farmers' Market Week is celebrated during the first week of August, marking the height of summer and the resulting bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables, and other locally produced goods. Farmers' Markets are great places for all to shop for healthy, fresh foods and support local farmers. There’s still plenty of time left to experience your local market with your family.
Here are some resources to help make the most out of your visit:
- A Trip to the Farmers’ Market with Children
- Food Safety & Selection at Farmers' Markets
- 7 Reasons to Buy Locally
- If you receive SNAP (formally known as food stamp) benefits, you are eligible for the Double Up Food Bucks Program (DUFB). The DUFB program doubles your SNAP dollars on fresh fruits and vegetables at participating markets and grocery stores, up to $20 per day. Visit the Double Up Food Bucks website for more information and a list of participating locations.
- If you live in the Omaha area, sign up for a free Farmers' Market Tour and receive a free tote bag, cookbook and $10 market bucks to spend that day at the market you tour. You will learn how to: Use SNAP, WIC, Senior Farmers' Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP), credit and/or debit cards at the farmers' market, select and prepare produce and shop on a budget. The market tours are sponsored by Nebraska Extension, The Big Garden and Whispering Roots. Visit the Big Garden website for more information and online registration.
Tip: Have your child help pick out a fruit from the market they want to try. Cantaloupe, watermelon, and apples are in-season and widely available. When you arrive home, rinse the fruit under cool running water and use your hands or a vegetable scrubber to remove any visible soil, then cut into bite-size pieces. Serve with this Tropical Fruit Dip from Nebraska's Nutrition Education Program - perfect for summer!
- 1 cup non-fat yogurt, vanilla
- 1 (3.9 oz.) package instant coconut pudding mix
- 1 cup non-fat sour cream
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients until well blended. Cover and chill at least two hours.
- Serve with fresh fruit or graham crackers.
- Serving Size (1/8 of recipe):
- Calories 117
- Total Fat 0g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 4mg
- Sodium 248mg
- Total Carbohydrates 26g
- Fiber 0g
- Total Sugars 21g
- Protein 3g
- Vitamin A 6%
- Vitamin C 3%
- Calcium 13%
- Iron 0%
This newsletter has been peer-reviewed.