4-H projects can be delicious and nutritious! Nebraska 4-H Food and Nutrition Projects help youth learn about how to have the right recipe for success. Plan, prepare, and present your 4-H Food and Nutrition Projects.
For all 4-H projects, Nebraska Project and Resources webpage offers lots of exciting and educational projects for 4-H'ers to choose from. Here are a few additional resources:
Interested in learning more about 4-H and Foods? Join the 4-H program in your county and get cooking! 4-H provides many fun opportunities for youth to learn about food preparation and meal planning for healthy families, or for a future career.
The purpose of the 4-H Culinary Challenge is to:
- Demonstrate Healthy Decision Making - Through Nutrition, Menu Planning, Food Prep, And Food Safety
- Apply Healthy Living Knowledge And Skills
- Showcase Skills
- Highlight Knowledge By Utilizing Technology
Youth ages 10 - 18 are eligible to participate. The 4-H'er must be enrolled in a Foods and Nutrition project and compete in teams of two. 4-H'ers are challenged on the theme, table setting, menu, use of the 2023 Challenge Ingredient of SUNFLOWERS, the interview with the judge, and use of technology during the tableside presentation. The team will prepare one food item off the menu to present to the judge. For more information regarding the contest, please contact your local Extension office and check out these resources:
- 4-H Culinary Challenge Event Flyer
- 4-H Culinary Challenge Event Contest Description
- 4-H Culinary Challenge Event Contest Scoresheet
- 4-H Culinary Challenge Letter for Participants
Youth interested in 4-H Foods projects may be interested in the following careers:
- Registered Dietitian
- Extension Educator
- Corporate Fitness and Wellness Director
- Food Chemist
- Food Safety Inspector
- Catering Manager/Director
- Exercise Physiologist
To see how you might fit into a foods related career, check out the University of Nebraska - Lincoln's Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences for some exciting possibilities!