Whole grains are important sources of many nutrients, including fiber, B vitamins (thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and folate) and minerals (iron, magnesium and selenium). Products made from whole grains contain the entire edible part of the grain, including the outer layer called the bran. The bran contains large amounts of B vitamins, fiber and other trace minerals.
Children as well as adults need to make half of their grains whole grains. Some common whole grains include oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat flour, and popcorn. An easy way to add a whole grain into your day is to use a whole grain tortilla to make a delicious wrap!
Wraps are a terrific way to use up odds and ends of meats, vegetables, cheese and so on. The possibilities for combinations are limited only by your imagination!
- 4 whole-wheat or whole-grain tortillas (8")
- ¼ cup low-fat ranch dressing, pesto or hummus
- 2 cups lettuce or leafy greens
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 red bell pepper or tomato
- ½ pound sliced low-sodium turkey breast
- Wash hands with soap and water. Gently wash lettuce under running water and pat dry. Wash cucumber and pepper/tomato under cold running water. Thinly slice.
- Spread ranch dressing, pesto or hummus onto flour tortilla, staying one inch from edge.
- Layer with turkey and vegetables. Roll tortilla tightly.
- With a sharp knife, slice in half and serve.
- Serving Size (1/2 wrap):
- Calories 110
- Total Fat 3g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Sodium 430mg
- Total Carbohydrates 13g
- Fiber 3g
- Total Sugars 2g, includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein 8g
- Calcium 0%
- Iron 0%
This newsletter has been peer reviewed in 2022.