Our bodies are made to move! Being physically active everyday…
- Helps keep the heart and lungs healthy
- Builds healthy bones, muscles and joints
- Boosts energy and promotes sound sleep
Physically active children feel good about themselves and are happier. Make physical activity part of your family routine. It is a priceless gift to give your children.
Children need at least 60 minutes of physical activity per day. More than 60 minutes is even better. Competitive sports are only one option and may not be the best choice for all children. Children should learn skills for lifetime fitness, including individual activities such as swimming, hiking, dancing, and bicycling.
A Family That Plays Together Stays Together
Brainstorm different fun activities that your family could do together. It is also important to stay active during the cold winter months. What does your family like to do during the winter or for indoor activity? Try this quick and tasty snack with your family!
- 1 medium cucumber
- ⅓ cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water. Gently rub cucumber under cold running water. Cut into ¾’ slices. Use a spoon to remove part of the seeds from the cucumber slices, leaving a small “dip” in the slice.
- Fill the “dip” with cottage cheese. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Try using other fillings such as finely chopped fresh veggies mixed with ranch dressing. Be creative!
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Calories 71
- Total Fat 3.6g
- Sodium 164mg
- Total Carbohydrates 4.65g
- Fiber 0.5g
Move Your Way for Parents, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health, Office of the Secretary, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
This newsletter has been peer-reviewed.