Quesadillas can be a quick and easy meal idea. Be creative by incorporating different veggies, meats, cheeses, beans, and even fruit into your quesadillas or try making them with whole wheat tortillas to increase the nutritional value.
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped
- 1 tomato, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, gently rubbed under cold running water, shredded
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup salsa (optional)
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, mix cooked onions, tomato, green pepper, zucchini and Cheddar cheese.
- Reheat skillet over medium heat. Spray one side of a flour tortilla with non-stick cooking spray. Place the tortilla, sprayed-side-down, on the hot skillet.
- Spread 1/4 of the vegetable/cheese mixture on one half of the tortilla. Fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling and cook, flipping once. Cook until the cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining 3 tortillas.
- Cut each quesadilla into 3 triangles and serve with salsa and/or sour cream on the side.
Variation: To make Vegetable Chicken Quesadillas, add 1 cup chopped cooked chicken during step 2.
- Serving Size (1 Quesadilla):
- Calories 230
- Total Fat 13g
- Saturated Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 15mg
- Sodium 250mg
- Total Carbohydrates 23g
- Fiber 2g
- Total Sugars 3g
- Protein 7g
- Vitamin A 10%
- Vitamin C 40%
- Calcium 15%
- Iron 8%