This slow-cooker stew is such a comfort food. Just smelling it as it simmers away makes you feel good! You probably have all or most of the ingredients in your kitchen.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, scrubbed with a clean vegetable brush, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, scrubbed with a clean vegetable brush, chopped
- 1 cup celery, scrubbed with a clean vegetable brush, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounce) tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, basil or other herb (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring often to crumble, until cooked through and temperature reaches 160°F on a food thermometer. Drain fat.
- Place beef, chopped vegetables, tomatoes, water and optional seasoning in a slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
To lower sodium content, choose one of the many brands of tomatoes available in a —no salt added— version.
- Serving Size (1/4 of recipe):
- Calories 275
- Total Fat 10g
- Saturated Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 71mg
- Sodium 240mg
- Total Carbohydrates 22g
- Fiber 5g
- Total Sugars 6g, includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein 25g
Adapted from: MyPlate Kitchens: Montana Extension Nutrition Education Program Website Recipes, Montana State University Extension Service. Author: Montana State University Extension Service.