Skillet Zucchini and Mushrooms
While eaten as a vegetable, mushrooms are fungi. Their unique nutrient composition provides B vitamins similar to that of grains, beans and meats.
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 green pepper, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water and chopped
- 1 onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water and chopped
- 3 zucchini, gently rubbed under cold running water and sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, gently rubbed under cold running water and sliced or 1 (6.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Wash hands with soap and water. In a large skillet, heat oil. Saute green pepper and onion.
- Add zucchini, cover and cook until tender.
- Add mushrooms and heat through.
- Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve hot.
- Serving Size (1/6 of recipe):
- Calories 70
- Total Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 60mg
- Total Carbohydrates 5g
- Fiber 1g
- Total Sugars 3g
- Protein 4g
- Vitamin A 2%
- Vitamin C 45%
- Calcium 8%
- Iron 2%