Yield: 10 servings
- 2 cups water
- 6 medium potatoes, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, thinly sliced
- 5 cups fat-free milk
- 6 Tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped OR 2 Tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 cups Cheddar or American cheese, shredded or cubed (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Add potatoes, carrots, onion and celery. Return to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Mash vegetables slightly so they break apart a little. Do not drain the vegetables. Stir in milk.
- In a small bowl, stir together melted margarine, flour, salt, pepper, and parsley until smooth. Add mixture to soup while stirring. Continue cooking until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Add cheese, if desired. Stir until melted.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Serving Size (1/10 of recipe):
- Calories 230
- Total Fat 7g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Sodium 170mg
- Total Carbohydrates 34g
- Fiber 2g
- Total Sugars 8g, includes 0g Added Sugars
Nutrition Software Used:
ESHA Food Processor