Oven-Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 pound fresh tomatillos, husked, gently rubbed under running water*
- 2 jalapeños, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water**
- 3 cloves garlic OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, gently rubbed under cold running water (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Set your oven to broil. Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove husks from the tomatillos. Rinse with water and dry with a clean towel or paper towel.
- Cut tomatillos and jalapeños in half. Place cut side down on the prepared baking sheet. If using garlic cloves, place these on the tray to roast as well.
- Roast in the oven for 8 minutes, or until the tomatillo and jalapeño skins start to blacken.
- Remove the tray from the oven, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Place roasted vegetables in a blender. Add chopped onions, lime juice, salt, and cilantro if desired. Blend until all the ingredients are finely chopped and mixed.
- Serve with tortilla chips, tacos, burritos, meat, chicken, or fish.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
*Green tomatoes can be used in place of tomatillos.
**For less spicy salsa, remove the seeds from the jalapeño.
Alternatively to the oven roasting method, tomatillos can also be toasted on the stovetop. Place husked and washed whole tomatillos in a large pan and toast over medium-high heat until skins brown and tomatillos soften.
- Serving Size (1/4 cup):
- Calories 30
- Total Fat 1g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 0mg
- Total Carbohydrates 6g
- Fiber 2g
- Total Sugars 4g, includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein 1g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 0%
- Iron 6%
- Potassium 6%
Nutrition Software Used:
ESHA Food Processor