Fresh Salsa (Pico de Gallo)
Yield: 8 servings
- 6 tomatoes, preferably Roma (or 3 large tomatoes), gently rubbed under cold running water and diced
- ½ medium onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 serrano or Jalapeno peppers, washed and finely chopped (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, gently rubbed under cold running water and chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- ⅛ teaspoon dried oregano, finely crushed
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ avocado, gently rubbed under cold running water and diced
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate and serve within 4 or 5 hours.
- Serving Size (1/2 cup):
- Calories 42
- Total Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 44mg
- Total Carbohydrates 7g
- Fiber 2g
Delicious Heart Healthy Latino Recipes from NHLBI.