Cheesy Beef Pasta
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef*
- 1 small onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, minced
- 1 small zucchini, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped
- 1 (24 ounce) jar or can tomato-based pasta sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 12 ounces whole wheat rotini pasta
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium-high heat until meat is browned and reaches an internal temperature of 160 °F on food thermometer. Drain fat.
- Add the pasta sauce, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes, if desired. Bring to a simmer and cook on medium-low for 15 minutes.
- While the beef mixture is simmering, cook the pasta in boiling water according to package directions. Drain the water.
- Add cooked pasta to the sauce in the skillet. Stir in the cheese and cover until the cheese is melted.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
*If desired, use another meat such as ground turkey or chicken or make without the meat.
- Serving Size (1/6 of recipe):
- Calories 340
- Total Fat 11g
- Saturated Fat 5g
- Sodium 520mg
- Total Carbohydrates 43g
- Fiber 4g
- Total Sugars 9g, includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein 20g
Nutrition Software Used:
ESHA Food Processor
Adapted from Foodhero.org (Oregon State Extension)