It's spring in Nebraska! As the weather warms up people usually feel better and have more energy. It is a great time to get up, and go outside to enjoy what spring in Nebraska has to offer. Flowers and trees are in bloom, birds are singing, and kids are outside playing. Join in the fun. Here are a few ideas for you to enjoy during the coming spring and summer while keeping health in mind:
- Try a new vegetable
- Track the miles you have walked
- Walk on a trail
- Plant a garden
- Spend less time in front of a TV and other electronic screens
- Try yoga
- Drink more water and less sweetened beverages
- Try a new healthy recipe
- Be physically active for 30 minutes most days of the week
- Try a new fruit
- Do yard work
- Eat breakfast
- Walk with family
- Go for a bike ride
- Stop and smell the flowers
- Play a sport
Photo by Marusa Jonas
Mango Tango Black Bean Salsa
Yield: 16 servings
- 1 mango, gently rubbed under cold running water
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (7 ounce) can whole kernel corn with peppers, drained
- ¼ cup onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, gently rubbed under cold running water, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Wash and peel the mango, then cut in half lengthwise. Throw away the seed. Cut into 3/4-inch cubes.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Serving Size (1/16 of recipe):
- Calories 30
- Total Fat 0g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 250mg
- Total Carbohydrates 7g
- Fiber 2g
- Total Sugars 3g
- Protein 1g
- Vitamin A 2%
- Vitamin C 8%
- Calcium 2%
- Iron 2%
This newsletter has been peer-reviewed.
Family Fun on the Run is a monthly newsletter designed to help families add physical activity to their already hectic schedules.