Warmer weather is here which means outdoor sporting events are starting back up again. This can be a hard time to help kids choose healthy snacks with concession stands selling lots of sugary beverages and candy. Here are some helpful hints to keep these sporting event snacks nutritious and delicious!
- Dips Galore: Pack a cooler filled with various dips (such as the "Sassy Pretzel Dip" found below) for veggies, pretzels, and whole-grain crackers to replace the nacho cheese at the concession stands.
- Brain Freeze: Try making your own freezer pops! In little paper cups, pour low fat yogurt or juice and mix in some fresh fruit and stick a straw in the middle. Freeze until the "pops" are frozen. Pack in a cooler. To eat: peel back the paper cup and enjoy!
- Candy Mash-Up: Bring along some trail mix with dried fruit, nuts, and a little chocolate.
- Fizzy Juice: Mix seltzer water and with your child's favorite 100% juice.
- ¼ cup low-fat mayonnaise
- ¼ cup brown mustard
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- Hard or soft pretzels OR vegetables
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Stir together mayonnaise, mustard, and brown sugar.
- Serve 2 tablespoons of dip to each child with some pretzels or veggies.
- Dunk pretzels or veggies in the dip and enjoy!
If bringing to a sporting event, make sure to pack veggies and dip in a cooler with ice or gel packs.
- Serving Size (2 Tablespoons of dip):
- Calories 50
- Total Fat 2.5g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 200mg
- Total Carbohydrates 7g
- Fiber 0g
- Total Sugars 6g, includes 6g Added Sugars
- Protein 0g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 0%
- Iron 0%
- Potassium 0%
Healthy Snacking with MyPlate, United States Department of Agriculture
This newsletter has been peer-reviewed. It was reviewed and updated in 2023.