If you have small amounts of leftovers and would like to mix them together into some type of casserole, try this recipe. Turn leftovers into favorite family foods!
Makes 6 servings
Select food(s) from each category or use your own favorites. Combine in a 2- to 2 1/2- quart casserole dish that has been greased or coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350°F for about 50 minutes to 1 hour or microwave using 50% power for about 15 to 30 minutes, rotating or stirring as necessary. Heat until steaming hot (165°F) throughout.
Starch - select ONE:
- 2 cups uncooked pasta (macaroni, penne, spiral, bow tie), COOKED
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white or brown rice, COOKED
- 4 cups uncooked noodles, COOKED
Protein - select ONE:
- 2 cups cooked ground beef
- 2 cups cooked and diced chicken, turkey, ham, beef, or pork
- 2 cups chopped hard-cooked egg
- 2 (6 to 8-oz.) cans fish or seafood, flaked
- 2 cups cooked or canned dry beans (kidney, etc.)
Vegetable - select ONE:
- 1 (10-oz.) pkg. thawed and drained frozen spinach, broccoli, green beans, green peas
- 1 (16-oz.) can green beans, peas, carrots, corn, drained
- 2 cups sliced fresh zucchini
Sauce - select ONE:
- 2 cups white sauce or 1 can sauce-type soup (mushroom, celery, cheese, tomato, etc.) mixed with milk to make 2 cups
- 1 (16-oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
Flavor - select ONE or MORE:
- 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1 - 2 teaspoons mixed dried leaf herbs (basil, thyme, marjoram, tarragon)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Topping- select ONE or MORE:
If desired after heating, place on top:
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss, Cheddar, or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup buttered bread crumbs
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup canned fried onion rings
Return casserole with topping(s), uncovered, to oven for about 10 minutes or to microwave for about 2 minutes.
This article was originally written by Alice Henneman, MS, RD. Updated and reviewed in 2020.
This article has been peer-reviewed.