You're tired, there's no one else to fix dinner for tonight and all you feel like doing is pouring a bowl of cereal. But, wait! Take an extra 5 minutes and prepare this luscious parfait, full of foods from 3 of the 5 food groups.
No need to get out your recipe book. Forget about the measuring cups and spoons. Just layer yogurt, low-fat granola and fresh, frozen or canned fruit in whatever proportions you'd like. Add some nuts and you've included a 4th food group. A sprig of mint is optional!
And there's no sink full of dishes!
Here are some possible yogurt and fruit combinations to layer with granola:
- Blueberry Lemon Parfait: Lemon yogurt and blueberries
- Red, White and Blue Parfait: Strawberries or raspberries, blueberries, bananas and vanilla yogurt
- Tropical Parfait: Kiwi, mango, pineapple and coconut or vanilla yogurt
- Berry Good Parfait: Any combination of berries such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, boysenberries, blackberries, etc. served with vanilla or a berry-flavored yogurt.
- Peachy Parfait: Sliced peaches and vanilla or peach yogurt. If desired, top with raspberry jam or raspberry syrup.
As an added touch, rather than serving your parfait in a regular glass, try one of these:
- 1/2 pint canning jar
- Martini glass
- Wine glass
- Glass beer stein
Here are a few of our favorite parfait recipes:
Article originally written by Alice Henneman. Reviewed and updated in 2020.