Alice Henneman, MS, RDN
With the addition of a fruit salad or dessert, this recipe provides the basis for a MyPlate meal: Protein, Grain, Vegetable, and Dairy Food Groups.
- 1 jar (26 to 30 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti, cooked
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine meatball ingredients in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into twelve 2-inch meatballs. Place on rack in broiler pan. Bake in 350 degree F oven 25 to 30 minutes.
- Combine meatballs and spaghetti sauce in large saucepan; heat through, stirring occasionally. Serve over spaghetti; sprinkle with cheese.
Prep time: 20 minutes / Cook time: 30 minutes / Total recipe time: 50 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
- Try using pasta made with 51 percent or more whole grain flour for added fiber.
- To make 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs, start by tearing a slice of bread into approximately 1-inch pieces. Place in a food processor; cover, and push pulse button several times until you have coarse crumbs. Pulse more bread, if needed, to obtain 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs. Use whole grain bread for added fiber.