Choose vegetables that are dark green, red, or orange more often and try to eat more dry beans and peas.
- 2 Tablespoons margarine
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups vegetables, fresh, canned or frozen, cooked (see note below)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large saucepan, melt margarine. Stir in flour.
- Slowly add milk, stirring until smooth.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened.
- Stir in salt, pepper, and vegetables.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
For cheese sauce, stir in 3/4 cup shredded cheese after step 3.
If using fresh vegetables, be sure to scrub them with clean vegetable brush under running water.
- Serving Size (1/4 of recipe):
- Calories 160
- Total Fat 7g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 220mg
- Total Carbohydrates 21g
- Fiber 5g
- Total Sugars 3g
- Protein 6g
- Vitamin A 120%
- Vitamin C 20%
- Calcium 10%
- Iron 8%