Tomato and Basil Bruschetta
Yield: 12 servings
- 8 ripe Roma tomatoes, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, gently rubbed under cold running water, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped
- 8 fresh basil leaves, gently rubbed under running water, chopped OR 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 loaf French-style bread, cut into ½ -inch thick slices
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, onion, basil, 1 Tablespoon olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir gently and set aside.
- Arrange bread on a baking sheet in a single layer. Pour 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a small bowl. Brush bread slices with a small amount of olive oil. Set oven to broil. Broil the bread for 3-5 minutes. Watch closely, as the bread will toast quickly.
- Top each slice of bread with tomato mixture*.
- Store leftover tomato mixture in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
*Top toasted bread with tomato mixture right before eating, as the bread will become soggy.
- Serving Size (1/12 of recipe):
- Calories 200
- Total Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 300mg
- Total Carbohydrates 34g
- Fiber 2g
- Total Sugars 2g, includes 1g Added Sugars
- Protein 5g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 4%
- Iron 6%
- Potassium 4%
Nutrition Software Used:
ESHA Food Processor