Keep raw meat, poultry, eggs, and fish separate from cooked and ready-to-eat foods. Do not wash or rinse raw meat or poultry.
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 cups whole wheat corkscrew macaroni, uncooked
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup green pepper, scrubbed with a clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped
- 1 cup low-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/2 cup non-fat sour cream
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef until internal temperature reaches 160°F on food thermometer. Drain fat.
- Add taco seasoning, tomato sauce, and green pepper to meat.
- Bring meat mixture to a boil. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked macaroni, 1/2 cup cheese, and sour cream. Spread in prepared baking dish.
- Top with meat mixture and remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serving Size (1/8 of recipe):
- Calories 300
- Total Fat 7g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 25mg
- Sodium 820mg
- Total Carbohydrates 38g
- Fiber 2g
- Total Sugars 3g
- Protein 21g
- Vitamin A 8%
- Vitamin C 10%
- Calcium 8%
- Iron 20%