Vegetables provide important nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, folate (folic acid), and dietary fiber. It is important to eat a variety of vegetables because different vegetables provide different nutrients. Try to include different colored vegetables at each meal to make sure you are getting those important nutrients.
- 8 small sweet potatoes, scrubbed with a clean vegetable brush under running water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt, to taste
- 16 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium corn, drained
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Prepare sweet potatoes as desired. They can be baked, boiled, steamed or sauteed until fork tender.
- In a medium bowl, mash potatoes with a fork until they form a puree.
- Add cumin, chili powder, and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Place tortilla on a plate. Spread 1/8th of sweet potato mixture on the tortilla.
- Top sweet potato mixture with 1/8th of the black beans, corn, and cheese.
- Place another tortilla on top of cheese.
- Cook on medium heat in a skillet or on a griddle until brown (about two minutes), flip and brown other side.
- Remove from heat and cut quesadilla into 6 pieces.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size (1/8 of recipe):
- Calories 540
- Total Fat 16g
- Saturated Fat 7g
- Sodium 980mg
- Total Carbohydrates 85g
- Fiber 5g
- Protein 21g