Summer Vegetable Salsa
Tomatoes are a good source of vitamin A and are also high in vitamin C and lycopene. Store uncut tomatoes at room temperature for best taste.
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 medium zucchini, gently rubbed under cold running water, diced
- 1 medium white onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, gently rubbed under cold running water, diced
- 1 Jalapeno pepper (optional), scrubbed dwith clean vegetable brush under running water, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro or parsley, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Put zucchini, onion and tomatoes in a medium bowl.
- Because the jalapeno can burn the skin, an adult should remove the seeds and mince it. Mince the garlic. Add jalapeno and garlic to the tomato mixture.
- Add cilantro, salt, and lime juice to the tomato mixture. Stir well.
- Chill in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size (1/6 of recipe):
- Calories 25
- Total Fat 0g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 198mg
- Total Carbohydrates 6g
- Fiber 1g
- Total Sugars 3g
- Protein 1g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 2%
- Iron 0%
- Potassium 4%