Need a easy snack with just a few ingredients? Try a string cheese caterpillar! Kids will have fun creating their own caterpillar or other string cheese creature!
- 1 piece of string cheese*
- 5 pretzel sticks
- 1 teaspoon dried cranberries or raisins
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Break pretzel sticks in half and stick in cheese to make legs and antennae.
- Add dried cranberries or raisins to "legs" to make feet. Enjoy!
*Use caution when serving string cheese to children, especially those under 4 years of age because they are at the greatest risk of choking. Prevent choking by cutting food in small pieces--no larger than one-half inch (½"). Additional tips to prevent choking:
- Have your child eat at the table. Do not let your child run, walk, play, or lie down with food in their mouth.
- Keep a watchful eye on your child while he or she eats.
- Encourage children to eat slowly and to chew completely before swallowing.
Snack Crediting for Ages 6-12 in CACFP - Meat/Meat Alternate
- Calories 110
- Total Fat 7g
- Saturated Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 30mg
- Sodium 230mg
- Total Carbohydrates 4g
- Fiber 0g
- Total Sugars 2g, includes 2g Added Sugars
- Protein 7g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 10%
- Iron 0%
- Potassium 0%
Choking Prevention, United States Department of Agriculture