Southwestern Chicken Salad
Choose vegetables that are dark green, red, or orange more often and try to eat more dry beans and peas.
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups cooked chicken (heated to 165°F as measured with a food thermometer), chopped
- 1 cup tomato, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups mixed salad greens, gently rubbed under cold running water (if not pre-washed)
- 2/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Tortilla chips (optional)*
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large bowl, mix cooked chicken, tomato, green onions, corn, cheese, black beans and salad greens.
- In a separate small bowl, make dressing by combining sour cream, picante sauce, chili powder, and cumin.
- Gently mix salad with dressing and serve.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days..
- Top salad with crushed tortilla chips.
- Use 2 (12.5 ounce) cans of chicken in place of 2 cups cooked chicken.
- Use ⅔ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
- Serving Size (1/6 of recipe):
- Calories 191
- Total Fat 39g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 43mg
- Sodium 466mg
- Total Carbohydrates 21g
- Fiber 4g
- Total Sugars 4g
- Protein 21g
- Vitamin A 31%
- Vitamin C 23%
- Calcium 14%
- Iron 12%