Southwestern Chicken Salad
Choose vegetables that are dark green, red, or orange more often and try to eat more dry beans and peas.
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 cup tomato, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups mixed salad greens, gently rubbed under cold running water (if not pre-washed)
- 2/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Tortilla chips (optional)*
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large bowl, mix cooked chicken, tomato, green onions, corn, cheese, black beans and salad greens.
- In a separate small bowl, make dressing by combining sour cream, picante sauce, chili powder, and cumin.
- Gently mix salad with dressing and serve.
Optional: Top salad with crushed tortilla chips.
- Serving Size (1/6 of recipe):
- Calories 191
- Total Fat 39g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 43mg
- Sodium 466mg
- Total Carbohydrates 21g
- Fiber 4g
- Total Sugars 4g
- Protein 21g
- Vitamin A 31%
- Vitamin C 23%
- Calcium 14%
- Iron 12%