This quick and easy one-pan dish provides four out of the five MyPlate food groups. Consider adding more vegetables, such as zucchini or broccoli.
Yield: 6 servings
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- ½ teaspoon dried basil (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 cups whole wheat egg noodles, uncooked
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 ounces Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef, onion, and garlic. Cook until internal temperature reaches 160°F as measured with a food thermometer. Drain fat.
- Add tomato sauce, water, oregano, basil, and salt if desired. Bring to a boil.
- Add noodles and stir. Cover and boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Break up thawed spinach in small pieces. Stir in skillet mixture. Bring to a boil. Cover and boil gently for 5 minutes. Stir mixture again.
- Spoon cottage cheese on top. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until noodles are tender and mixture is hot and bubbly. Add water if it gets too thick.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Serving Size (1/6 of recipe):
- Calories 280
- Total Fat 9g
- Saturated Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 50mg
- Sodium 500mg
- Total Carbohydrates 31g
- Fiber 4g
- Total Sugars 6 g
- Protein 22g
- Vitamin A 120%
- Vitamin C 30%
- Calcium 20%
- Iron 20%