What could be easier than serving a Sloppy Joe mixture on buns, or over baked potatoes, or pasta? Make your own seasoning mix and cut back on the salt found in commercial mixes. A quick (and easy!) way to further cut back on salt is using no-salt-added ketchup when preparing your Sloppy Joes.
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup of no-salt added ketchup
- 6 whole-grain hamburger buns
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Mix all spices until well blended.
- Brown 1 pound of lean ground beef over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes in a large nonstick skillet, breaking beef up into small crumbles. Cook until beef is not pink and reaches 165 degrees when measured with a food thermometer. Pour off drippings.
- Add seasoning mix, water and no-salt-added ketchup.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, reducing heat as needed to maintain a gentle simmer. Stir occasionally. Add more water if the mixture becomes too thick.
- Serve on whole grain buns hamburger buns.
- Try serving the sloppy joe meat over pasta or baked potatoes for a twist to the classic recipe.
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce plus 1 to 2 teaspoons of vinegar and 1 teaspoon of sugar can be substituted for the ketchup.
- Use any leftovers within 3 to 4 days. Reheat until steamy hot — 165 degrees F. Or, freeze extras in freezer-quality bags in amounts you'll plan to eat at one meal. Cool in a shallow pan (meat should be no deeper than 2 inches) before transferring to freezer bags.
- After you've tried this recipe and adjusted seasonings to personal taste, double or triple the seasoning recipe next time. It's simplest to set out small bowls and measure enough for one recipe into each bowl. Then, transfer the mixture in each bowl to a 6-inch square of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Fold tightly and store the packets together in a plastic freezer bag in a cool, dark, dry place.
- As a general rule, keep ground spices for about a year from time of purchase for best quality. Plan to use this mix while your seasonings are still within this freshness range for best taste.
- Calories 340
- Total Fat 8g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 65mg
- Sodium 300mg
- Total Carbohydrates 37g
- Fiber 0g
- Total Sugars 13g, includes 11g Added Sugars
- Protein 29g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 10%
- Iron 20%
- Potassium 15%
Recipe developed by Alice Henneman.