Arroz con Leche, also known as rice pudding, has been enjoyed in Latin American countries such as Mexico, Cuba, and Puerto Rico since the 19th century. More recently, the dish has begun to gain popularity in countries outside of Latin America and worldwide thanks to its creamy and sweet taste.
- 3/4 cup rice (brown or white rice)
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk, fat-free
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook rice in water according to package directions.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cooked rice, milk, and sugar. Cook over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly until the rice has absorbed most of the milk.
- Add evaporated milk, raisins, vanilla, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir to combine and continue to cook over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Serving Size (1/6 of recipe):
- Calories 190
- Total Fat 1g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 90mg
- Total Carbohydrates 37g
- Fiber 1g
- Total Sugars 19g, includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein 7g
- Vitamin D 10%
- Calcium 15%
- Iron 0%
- Potassium 8%