Yield: 6 servings
- 1 cup brown rice or quinoa
- 1 cup tomatoes, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped
- 1 cucumber, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped
- 1 avocado, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano or cilantro or 1 Tablespoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lime or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook brown rice or quinoa according to package directions. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine brown rice or quinoa, tomatoes, cucumber, red ionion avacado, garbanzo beans and oregano or cilantro, if desired.
- Make the dressing in a small bowl by combining olive oil, vinegar, lime or lemon juice, mustard, minced garlic and salt, if desired.
- Pour the dressing over the rice or quinoa and vegetable mixture and stir gently.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Use an Italian dressing or hummus in pleace of homemade dressing, if desired.
- Serving Size (1/6 of recipe):
- Calories 300
- Total Fat 16g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Sodium 210mg
- Total Carbohydrates 32g
- Fiber 7g
- Total Sugars 2g, includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein 8g
Nutrition Software Used:
ESHA Food Processor