This sauce is delicious served with fish and is a great way to use summer's abundant supply of cucumbers. It is especially tasty with salmon. Other uses include as a vegetable dip and as a topping for baked potatoes. Using nonfat Greek yogurt for the base adds calcium and helps keep the calories down.
- ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 cucumber (peeled, with seeds removed), gently rubbed under cold running water, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Wash your hands with soap and water.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
A quick way to remove the seeds from the cucumber is to cut it in half and scoop them out with the tip of a teaspoon-size measuring spoon.
- Calories 60
- Total Fat 2.5g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 105mg
- Total Carbohydrates 6g
- Fiber 0g
- Total Sugars 3g, includes 1g Added Sugars
- Protein 3g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 4%
- Iron 0%
- Potassium 4%
Recipe written by Alice Henneman.