Curried Lentil Soup
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cups dry lentils* (rinsed)
- 5 cups water
- ¼ cup onion, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped
- ½ cup carrots, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, gently rubbed under cold running water, minced
- ¼ cup uncooked vermicelli noodles**
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped (optional)
- 1 lemon, sliced (optional)
- 1 jalapeño, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, sliced (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add lentils and sauté for 3 minutes. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
- Add water to sauteed lentils. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Carefully transfer the lentil mixture into a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Be careful, it could be hot.
- Place processed lentils back into the saucepan and add the sautéed onion, garlic, carrot, vermicelli noodles, curry, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until noodles are tender. Add more water to reach the desired consistency.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with lemon and jalapeño slices, if desired.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
*Any type of lentil can be used in this recipe.
**Other types of thin noodles can be used, such as spaghetti.
- Serving Size (1½ cups):
- Calories 180
- Total Fat 5g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 115mg
- Total Carbohydrates 26g
- Fiber 4g
- Total Sugars 2g, includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein 9g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 2%
- Iron 10%
- Potassium 6%
Nutrition Software Used:
ESHA Food Processor
This recipe was created in collaboration with Community Crops and Yazidi Project.