Chinese Chicken Salad
Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 (12.5 ounce) can of chicken (optional)
- 4 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup vinegar (rice or white wine)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Ramen noodle flavor packet
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1 Ramen noodle package, oriental flavored
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse cabbage under cool running water. Shred the cabbage with a knife or grater. Set aside.
- Break up noodles. Set aside.
- In a small bowl make dressing with sugar, vinegar, vegetable oil and 1 tsp. flavor packet. Stir well.
- In a large bowl, add peppers, scallions, unsalted peanuts and other vegetables if you like. Add cooked chicken and cabbage.
- Pour on the dressing and combine. Break up noodles and sprinkle on top.
- Serve cold. Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- Use 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped (heated to 165°F as measured with a food thermometer) in place of canned chicken.
- For more color and nutrients, add one 8 oz. can of drained mandarin oranges to the salad.
- Substitute sliced almonds for unsalted peanuts.
- Use 4 1/2 cups of cabbage salad mix instead of shredded cabbage.
- Serving Size (1 cup):
- Calories 220
- Total Fat 9g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Cholesterol 60mg
- Sodium 430mg
- Total Carbohydrates 13g
- Fiber 2g
- Total Sugars 3g, includes 1g Added Sugars
- Protein 23g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 2%
- Iron 6%
- Potassium 8%
Nutrition Software Used:
ESHA Food Processor
Recipe Credit: MyPlate Kitchen, Connecticut Food Policy Council Farm Fresh Summertime Recipes