Chinese Chicken Salad
Yield: 8 Servings
- 4 ½ cups shredded cabbage
- 1 Ramen noodle package, oriental flavored
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- ¼ cup vinegar (rice or white wine)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Ramen noodle flavor packet
- ½ cup bell pepper, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped
- ¼ cup scallions, gently rubbed under cold running water, minced
- ½ cup unsalted peanuts OR sliced almonds
- 1 (12.5 ounce) can of chicken
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse cabbage under cool running water. Shred the cabbage with a knife or grater. Set aside.
- Break up noodles. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, vinegar, vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon flavor packet. Stir well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine peppers, scallions, and unsalted peanuts. Add chicken and cabbage. Stir gently.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture. Stir gently. Top with broken noodles..
- Although this recipe is best eaten right away, leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Use 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped (heated to 165 °F when measured with a food thermometer) in place of canned chicken.
- For more color and nutrients, add one 8 oz. can of drained mandarin oranges to the salad.
- Use 4 ½ cups of cabbage salad mix instead of shredded cabbage.
- Serving Size (1 cup):
- Calories 220
- Total Fat 9g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Cholesterol 60mg
- Sodium 430mg
- Total Carbohydrates 13g
- Fiber 2g
- Total Sugars 3g, includes 1g Added Sugars
- Protein 23g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 2%
- Iron 6%
- Potassium 8%
Nutrition Software Used:
ESHA Food Processor
- Adapted from MyPlate Kitchen, Connecticut Food Policy Council Farm Fresh Summertime Recipes