Brussels Sprout and Apple Salad
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cut into matchsticks
- Fill a large saucepan about one-half full with water. Add about one teaspoon salt, cover, and bring to a boil. Add Brussel sprouts and cook for about one minute. Drain. Add cold water. After about one minute, pour off water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together shallot, vinegar, sugar, and one-half teaspoon salt. Slowly whisk in olive oil.
- Place Brussels sprouts and apple in a large bowl. Add dressing and stir to coat mixture.
- Serve immediately for a crunchy salad or refrigerate overnight.