Brussels Sprout and Apple Salad
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, gently rubbed under cold running water
- 1½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Granny Smith apple, gently rubbed under cold running water and cut into matchsticks
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Fill a large saucepan about one-half full with water. Add about one teaspoon salt, cover, and bring to a boil. Add Brussel sprouts and cook for about one minute. Drain. Add cold water. After about one minute, pour off water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together shallot, vinegar, sugar, and one-half teaspoon salt. Slowly whisk in olive oil.
- Place Brussels sprouts and apple in a large bowl. Add dressing and stir to coat mixture.
- Serve immediately for a crunchy salad or refrigerate overnight.
- Calories 100
- Total Fat 5g
- Saturated Fat 0.5g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 600mg
- Total Carbohydrates 14g
- Fiber 4g
- Total Sugars 7g, includes 2g Added Sugars
- Protein 3g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 2%
- Iron 6%
- Potassium 8%