Foods from the protein foods group provide nutrients that are important for growth, strong muscles and organs, fighting infection, and preventing anemia. This group includes all foods made from meat, poultry, seafood, dry beans or peas, eggs, processed soy products, nuts, and seeds.
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and cubed*
- 1/4 cup barbeque sauce, divided
- 4 cups Romaine lettuce, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing**
- 1/4 cup tortilla chips, crushed
- Optional ingredients: avocado, corn, bell peppers, cilantro
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a small bowl, combine chicken and 2 tablespoons barbeque sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes and optional ingredients, as desired.
- Add chicken mixture to lettuce mixture, top with shredded cheese.
- Top with tortilla chips and drizzle with ranch dressing and remaining barbeque sauce.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
*If desired, use seafood (canned salmon, tuna, crab, or frozen and prepared fish), canned chicken or garbanzo/kidney beans in place of cooked chicken.
**If desired, use any choice of dressing.
- Serving Size (1/4 of recipe):
- Calories 230
- Total Fat 12g
- Saturated Fat 4g
- Sodium 550mg
- Total Carbohydrates 17g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 15g