Acorn Squash, Cranberry, & Kale Salad
Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 cups no salt added vegetable broth
- 1 acorn squash, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water, cubed
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon mustard (Dijon or other)
- 4 cups kale leaves, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Wash and prepare vegetables.
- Preheat the oven to 375 ⁰F.
- Cook rice in broth according to package directions.
- Mix cubed squash with vegetable oil, salt and pepper. Place squash in a baking dish. Roast squash for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Combine vinegar, vegetable oil, maple syrup and mustard in a small bowl until well combined.
- Place kale in a large bowl and pour half the dressing over the top. Massage leaves for about 2-3 minutes until softened. Add cooked rice, squash, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds and feta cheese if using. Mix until combined.
- Pour desired amount of remaining dressing and mix.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Serving Size (1 cup):
- Calories 280
- Total Fat 15g
- Saturated Fat 3.5g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Sodium 210mg
- Total Carbohydrates 34g
- Fiber 2g
- Total Sugars 8g, includes 5g Added Sugars
- Protein 5g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 6%
- Iron 6%
- Potassium 8%
Nutrition Software Used:
ESHA Food Processor