The family fun of camping season is upon us. Camping with kids while doing fun healthy outdoor cooking is the best! Getting kids involved in the cooking process while keeping safety as a top priority can teach invaluable lessons and make great family memories.
Campfire safety will make the experience more enjoyable. Rules around campfires:
- Safety always comes first!
- A first aid kit, directions to the closest emergency care facility, and cell or land-line phone should be readily available before the campfire activity starts.
- Always supervise children carefully. Absolutely no running or playing near campfires.
- Never leave the campfire or grill unattended and have a bucket of water nearby. A responsible adult must be present at all times.
- Have a safety circle around the campfire or grate.
- Never wear loose or flammable clothing near campfires.
- 1 medium potato, scrubbed with clean vegetable brush under running water
- 2 teaspoons oil - olive, canola, vegetable, etc.
- 1 Tablespoon shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Dice potato evenly. Place the potatoes on a piece of heavy-duty foil.
- Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with cheese, salt and pepper or other toppings as desired.
- Fold foil up around potatoes. Seal the edges of foil well. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Feel free to add additional toppings such as sliced or diced onion, fresh or dried herbs (basil, chives, etc.), bacon bits, etc.
- Try to prepare as much in advance of your camping trip as possible such as shredding cheese and dicing onions. Place ingredients in plastic bags and keep cold in coolers until ready to use.
- Building a variety of vegetables and meat on skewers to be grilled or cooked over the campfire, can be another fun opportunity for children to help prepare a meal. Kids can learn more about the foods they eat and how to be safe when cooking. Be sure to review food safety with your child in any cooking environment.
- Calories 170
- Total Fat 11g
- Saturated Fat 2.5g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 200mg
- Total Carbohydrates 15g
- Fiber 2g
- Total Sugars 1g, includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein 3g
- Vitamin D 0%
- Calcium 4%
- Iron 10%
- Potassium 4%
This newsletter was peer-reviewed in 2020.