Join Nebraska Extension as we run, walk, skip and play our way to being healthy! Our goal is for youth and their families across Nebraska to be active and gain confidence through completing the distance of a marathon, one mile at a time!
How can you get involved with Nebraska Extension Marathon Kids?
- Teachers can use Nebraska Extension Marathon Kids in their classroom! Learn more HERE!
- Join our Facebook Group, Nebraska Extension Marathon Kids. Our Facebook Group is designed to motivate caregivers as they encourage their children/students/families to be active.
- Contact our Nebraska Extension Marathon Kids Leadership Team to see if there is a running club near you or if you want to become a coach!
Track your miles today by using printable mileage logs!
Here are some resources that can help get you started:
- Warm-up activities to try at home and fun stretching and cool-down activities.
- Conversation starters for family-walk time, in English and Spanish, are great ways to encourage walking and talking. Plus, you can conquer a mile every time!
- Here are Running games that require little to no equipment. 20 minutes of heart-pumping physical activity equals one mile!
How to Track Your Miles with Time
If you don't have a smart watch or phone with a GPS to officially measure your running distance, you can base your mileage on time. Every five minutes of heart-pumping activity or exercise you do is equivalent to a quarter of a mile.
Examples of run/jog/walk minutes:
- 5 minutes = 1/4 of a mile
- 10 minutes = 1/2 of a mile
- 15 minutes = 3/4 of a mile
- 20 minutes = 1 mile
Examples of heart-pumping activities:
- 5 minutes of jumping rope = 1/4 mile
- 10 minutes jog/walk = 1/2 mile
- 15 minutes of bike riding = 3/4 mile
- 20 minutes of a high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workout = 1 mile
Marathon Kids is a national running program designed to motivate kids by utilizing running logs, boost their activity, and introduce them to the joy of running!