Here at Nebraska Extension, we are offering a virtual Marathon Kids club, so youth and their families across Nebraska can be active and gain confidence through completing the distance of a marathon, one mile at a time! You and your family can join this effort in 4 easy steps:
Step 1: Join our Facebook Group, Nebraska Extension Marathon Kids
Step 2: Track your mileage by using either these Printable mileage logs or be creative and design your own way of tracking!
Step 3: Get out and be active. You can run, you can jog, you can walk or even skip! Here are some resources that can help you get started:
- Warm-up activities to try at home and fun stretching and cool-down activities.
- Conversation starters for family-walk time, in English and Spanish, are great ways to encourage walking and talking. Plus, you can conquer a mile every time!
- Here are Running games that require little to no equipment. 20 minutes of heart-pumping physical activity equals one mile!
Step 4: Interact with us on Social Media! We want to know where you are running and how close you are getting to your marathon.
Remember, running and walking only require a pair of shoes. Anyone, any age, and all abilities can move at their own pace! We are looking forward to you joining our group and to start moving together!
How to Track Your Miles with Time
If you don't have a smart watch or phone with a GPS to officially measure your running distance, you can base your mileage on time. Every five minutes of heart-pumping activity or exercise you do is equivalent to a quarter of a mile.
Examples of run/jog/walk minutes:
- 5 minutes = 1/4 of a mile
- 10 minutes = 1/2 of a mile
- 15 minutes = 3/4 of a mile
- 20 minutes = 1 mile
Examples of heart-pumping activities:
- 5 minutes of jumping rope = 1/4 mile
- 10 minutes jog/walk = 1/2 mile
- 15 minutes of bike riding = 3/4 mile
- 20 minutes of a high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workout = 1 mile
Marathon Kids is a national running program designed to motivate kids by utilizing running logs, boost their activity, and introduce them to the joy of running!