Why physical activity in the classroom?
Even just 20 minutes a day has positive mental health and academic peformance benefits for children. Kids who move their bodies on a regular basis experience both personal and social benefits from working through the variety of challenges and feelings they experience during moderate-vigorous physical activity. All of these benefits translate directly to the classroom and academic achievement.
Why Marathon Kids?
Marathon Kids is one of the only evidence-based youth physical activity programs in the United States that is proven to help increase a child's daily moderate to vigorous activity.
Tips and Tricks!
- Use Marathon Kids for brain breaks, PE and recess!
- It doesn't have to take a lot of time. Marathon Kids counts 5 minutes of heart-pumping activity as a quarter of a mile.
- Soon enough those minutes turn to miles and miles turn to marathons!
- Work as a class to reach a team goal!
- Working as a team increases a sense of belonging. Engaging in shared physical activity with other young people can give them a sense of community and belonging while alleviating social anxiety. After all, it's always easier to connect with others around a shared project or goal.
- Physical Activity Facts, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention