Questions or Comments? Email Author, Alice Henneman, MS, RDN, Extension Educator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy a hot and healthy meal in a hurry with this Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich. No recipe required!
- Bread (preferably whole grain)
- Sliced cheese
- Thin slice of a large tomato
- Margarine, olive oil or butter
For each sandwich: Lightly spread one side of 2 slices of bread with margarine, olive oil or butter. Lay 1 slice with buttered side down on a cutting board and top with a slice of cheese, followed by a tomato slice and ending with another cheese slice. Cover with second bread slice, buttered side up. Grill sandwiches on medium heat until golden brown and cheese starts to melt. Use a double-sided, hinged indoor grill (such as a George Foreman grill; a panini press; a griddle; or a frying pan. You'll need to flip sandwiches to the other side on the griddle and frying pan. Serve immediately.
- A knife with a serrated edge works best for slicing tomatoes.
- If you're limiting your sodium intake, use Swiss cheese that has only 54 mg sodium/ounce, about 1/3 the amount of sodium in 1 slice of bread.
(Recipe and photo created by Alice Henneman)