Mornings can be hectic, as everyone gets ready for a new day. Here are a few tips for parents and caregivers:
- Schedule enough time for breakfast so children can eat without pressure.
- Make sure your children get enough sleep so they are well rested and willing to sit down for a well-balanced breakfast.
- Place boxes of cereal, bowls and silverware on the table the evening before to save time in the morning.
- If there is no spare time in the morning plan grab-and-go breakfasts, such as hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, sliced fruit, mini quiche cups, or homemade muffins.
These mini quiche cups are easy to prepare. They can even be prepared the night before and reheated in the morning for a quick and nutritious breakfast.
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup low-fat milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 green onion, gently rubbed under cold running water, chopped
- 1 cup cooked vegetable(s) and/or cooked meat (such as broccoli, potato, mushroom, bell pepper, ham, chicken, or turkey), finely chopped
- ½ cup low-fat cheese, shredded
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray and set aside.
- Crack eggs separately into a small bowl then pour into a larger mixing bowl. Wash hands with soap and water after cracking raw eggs. Add the milk, salt, and pepper and beat with a fork until blended.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the onion, vegetable(s), meat, and cheese. Divide the mixture evenly into each muffin cup.
- Pour egg mixture over vegetable(s), meat, and cheese.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the filling is puffed and golden, and the internal temperature reaches 160°F when measured with a food thermometer.
- Remove from oven. Cool for a few minutes, then carefully lift out and transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or cold.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
These can be made in a regular muffin pan. The recipe makes 6 regular-sized quiche cups and will take 5 minutes longer to bake.
- Serving Size (3 mini quiche cups):
- Calories 80
- Total Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Cholesterol 90mg
- Sodium 270mg
- Total Carbohydrates 2g
- Fiber 0g
- Total Sugars 1g, includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein 8g
- Vitamin D 6%
- Calcium 6%
- Iron 6%
- Potassium 2%