Alice Henneman, MS, RDN, Extension Educator
This cool-as-a-cucumber salad is loaded with cucumbers and tomatoes for refreshing summer meals. Make it earlier in the day when it's less hot and let the flavors meld in the refrigerator during the heat of the day.
(Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe - Yield: 4 servings)
- 2 cups diced cucumber
- 1 cup seeded and diced tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 cups cooked couscous or rice
- 2 teaspoons chopped dried or fresh dill weed
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing, low-fat
Wash hands. Toss together the cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, couscous (or rice), dill, and salad dressing. Chill for 1 hour. Serve.
Source: SNAP-Ed Connection Recipes - adapted from: Don't Play With Your Food: Spring and Summer Cookbook, Arizona Nutrition Network
- I didn't have any dill when I made this recipe and substituted fresh parsley.
- For added fiber - use whole grain couscous or rice.
- In a hurry? Leave the seeds in the tomatoes - the presence or absence of tomato seeds affects mainly appearance in this recipe. When you remove tomato seeds, you also remove the pulp that surrounds them. In some recipes, this is important as the liquid in the pulp can cause a dish to become too wet or soggy.
- Peel cucumber if its skin is tough or bitter-tasting.
- Cool rice or couscous before adding it to the salad. Cool quickly by refrigerating in a shallow container.